There is a proliferation of prophetic voices in this land today. We often ask which ones are genuine or who can be really be trusted to hear from God.
– Churches are today filled with hundreds of ‘prophets’ some saying one thing, others saying the exact opposite. Making it a confusing landscape to navigate.
– The Bible tells us not to despise prophecies but also admonishes us to beware of false prophets.
– Bible provides us with TESTS of a prophet. It is essential that specifically Biblical tests be applied to anyone who claims to possess the gift of prophecy.
– How can you tell a TRUE prophet from a false one? For the members who have been following my series of WALKING IN THE PROPHETIC and want to tread carefully, I offer the following:
FEATURES OF A TRUE PROPHET
– To edify is to help someone understand or to instruct and improve especially in moral and religious knowledge.
1Co 14:1-5 – Follow after love, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy. 2 For he that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but unto God: for no man understands him; but in the spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But he that prophesies speaks unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself; but he that prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would that you all spoke with tongues, but rather that you prophesied: for greater is he that prophesies than he that speaks with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
2. POINT PEOPLE TO GOD
– True prophets point people to Jesus Christ; they don’t seek ‘followers.’ They want people dependent upon God, not them.
– True prophets are in the business of connecting, developing and mobilizing people to God for His Glory.
Joh 3:29-31- He that has the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease. 31 He that comes from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaks of the earth: he that comes from heaven is above all.
3. DOES NOT SELF VALIDATE
– Self Validation is the feeling of having recognized, confirmed, or establish your own worthiness or legitimacy.
– True prophets rarely talk about the fact that they are a prophet. Wannabe prophets are desperate to be recognized as such. Having to tell someone you’re a prophet is like having to tell someone you’re a leader.
– True prophets do not have to validate themselves, their works and fruits should validate them.
2Co 10:12 – For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.
4. SPIRITUALLY MINDED
– True prophets are spiritually minded, not materially minded. True prophets don’t pressure you to ‘sow into their ministry’ and make constant appeals for your money. True prophets live simple lifestyles.
5. HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST
– True prophets have a genuine relationship with Christ that is fresh and growing. The love, meekness, and grace of God is evident in their life, speech, and actions.
6. POSSESS GENUINE GIFTS
– True prophets possess genuine prophetic gifts and can ‘read people’s minds.’ They perceive the spiritual condition of others, can see into their hearts, and ‘know’their secrets. They regularly know things before they happen and comment on these things BEFORE they happen, not AFTER.
– True prophets are humble and don’t brag about their mystical experiences with God.
– True prophets don’t continually talk about themselves, their exploits, attendance at their meetings, etc.They are focused on God, not on constructing and maintaining a reputation.
* When a prophesy is released in your life, like David, pick it and run with it.
* May you begin to dream DREAMS, may you get UNDERSTANDING, may you read scripture and WONDER, to EXPERIENCE the prophetic of God.
* You are blessed and the prophetic shall saturate your life.
_End of series_
* Next Sunday, we will have a PRAYER SERVICE and our Senior Pastor will specifically RELEASE the PROPHETIC into our lives. Kindly keep following.
Be blessed as you walk in the prophetic.